To ensure the safety of both students and instructors and to maximize the potential for learning by more closely matching the vehicle to the participant’s ability, the NEQ enforces the following requirements:
- Non-solo applicants - Those drivers who have not soloed at NEQ events.
- Vehicle must be Registered and Street Legal
- Vehicle must be insured
- Vehicle must have DOT legal tires with a minimum treadwear rating of 140. Vehicles that were factory equipped with DOT tires treadwear rated at less than 140 are exempt from this rule.
- Solo applicants
- Vehicle must have DOT legal tires
- Any tires acceptable
- All convertibles must meet ACNA requirements for open top cars (see "Open Top Cars")
- Lap and Shoulder Belts
- Required for driver and passenger, both must be fully functional.
- Aftermarket seat belts must be installed in compliance with manufacturers’ installation instructions.
- Equal restraints must be provided for both the passenger and the driver. For example, harnesses with 4, 5, or 6 point mounts used by the driver, must also be provided for the front seat passenger.
- Non-factory restraint belts must carry a current SFI or FIA certification.
- Non-factory restraint systems may not be used beyond the expiration date printed on the belt.
- SUVs are only allowed at Winter Driving Schools
Next Section: Clothing
Every winter, NEQ hosts winter driving schools on frozen lakes in Upstate NY. Dates and signup are available in January each year.
Join us at this High Performance Driving School at the historic Watkins Glen International raceway, in Central NY.
May 20-22, 2021
Join us at this High Performance Driving School at the historic Lime Rock Park, CT. This track takes a short time to learn, but a lifetime to master.
Oct 5-6, 2021
Join us at this High Performance Driving School at New Jersey Motorsports Park